Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Tech Thursdays Continue...but how to improve them?


Tech Thursdays are in full swing and I now have two under my belt! Tech Thursdays are a way for teachers in my district to get the training and application they need to integrate technology into their classrooms. I love having the opportunity and support of the California Teacher's Association and the Oakdale Teacher's Association to bring teachers in my community the professional development (PD) they need. 

But....

How do I improve?

I am always looking to better myself and improve my craft. But how do I better the PD I am offering teachers?

Last week was my second Tech Thursday. I had about fifteen teachers take time out of their day for professional development. Professional development that they are seeking on their own (without pay) and have ownership over. In fact, each month the participants are the ones to decide what Tech Thursday's topic will be. I even give the top two or three a final vote on Tech Thursday using Poll Anywhere. The attendees are in complete control!

The responses from those who have joined us for Tech Thursdays has been great! I get oooohs and ahhhhs and generate lots of excitement in the room.

But how do I improve?


I promote, create SMORES, send reminders, give surveys, ask for feedback, and give ownership of each event. 

I know that I need more hands-on PD, and that is coming. Yet, I still feel that I need more ideas. 

I am thinking of trying an unconference type of PD...but the teachers in my district think they don't have much to offer, when in reality they have so many ideas, thoughts, questions, and discussion that always leads to greatness. 
During the first session, teachers shared their favorite apps and the conversation was amazing! What if I put all of us in that situation and see what happens? It could lead to some true greatness!


I just want to offer what teachers need to feel and be successful with the integration of technology in their classrooms. Tech Thursdays is even opening up to other districts in the area and eventually going to culminate in an unconference with my co-creator, Karen Taylor of Tracy Unified. So many educators want to improve their technology skills, I just need to get them through that door!

This is a lot of questions, a lot to ponder, but I'll get there...One step at a time.


Any feedback is kindly appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment