Saturday, August 31, 2013

Genius Hour-Introduced!



It's here! Genius Hour has been introduced and I can't even begin to describe how excited my students are!

To hook my students, I had to show The Kid President:
The Kid President had them. They laughed! They understood when he said, "We were made to be awesome." We were! Now it is time to "Create something that will make the world awesome."
 







 



"Create something that will make the world awesome."

After the talk that got my kids talking....I asked them, has there ever been a time in school when YOU got to learn about something you truly wanted? When you chose what to learn?

The room erupted into chatter, laughter, and a resounding "NO!" by all students.Then came my moment to say, "Well guys, that is exactly what is going to happen."

I have three classes (we have a block English schedule) and for a moment the room stood silent.
They didn't believe me...at first. I then went and described the Passion Project. Each student would have Genius Hour to research their passion. That even I would join them on this journey. We were going to discover our genius because as the wonderful and inspirational Angela Maiers says:


They were floored! Excited! Ideas began pouring forth! Discussion, empowerment, pure excitement....about learning!
Here is a screen shot of our Wonder Wall on Padlet with just a sample of ideas for projects:

Our journey begins next week! Our first hour of Genius Hour. I can't wait and more importantly, neither can my students!

I have always known the importance and power of student choice in the classroom. But to give students the ultimate choice of directing their learning?! Even more powerful, important, and inspiring of all!


Here's to next week!



4 comments:

  1. Gotta love the chirping crickets! Sadly, it happens. They don't know what they want to learn - unless you keep this up. Then they'll figure it out! Enjoy your time - I'm excited for you and your students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goosebumps over here reading how successful your launch was! I'm going to introduce Genius Hour with my Grade 3's this week. I hope you don't mind but I'm going to share the Kid President Video with my group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do! They really enjoyed The Kid President! Also, please share how yours went!

      Delete